Cleveland Clinic's Anesthesiology Institute unites all specialists in pain management, general anesthesia, pediatric & congenital heart anesthesia, cardiothoracic anesthesia and critical care, regional practice, outcomes research and education within one fully integrated model of care to improve diagnosis, medical management and quality of life for our patients.
This innovative model of care allows patients to better access the services they need through our six specialized, multidisciplinary departments and more than 15 subspecialized sections. We strive to advance anesthesia through clinical excellence, education, innovation and people. Our internationally recognized medical staff and dedicated support team perform more than 200,000 procedures annually.
Our organizational structure is an employed model, with staff anesthesiologists supervising residents, fellows, nurse anesthetists and student nurse anesthetists. We have one of the largest anesthesiology residency training programs in the country, accepting about 30 new residents annually. Cleveland Clinic also has the nation's largest fellowship program, offering subspecialized anesthesiology fellowships in cardiac, vascular, transplant, obstetrics, pain management, pediatrics, neuroanesthesiology, critical care and outpatient and advanced anesthesiology.
Cleveland Clinic Anesthesiology Institute invites you to learn more about our comprehensive anesthesia services, including our specialists in general, cardiothoracic, pediatric and congenital heart anesthesia, critical care medicine, pain management and outcomes research. Enhancing the effectiveness of our practice by identifying opportunities to advance patient care is a leading priority for the Anesthesiology Institute. Daily we gather data in our efforts to continually improve upon the quality of care for our patients, the development of new techniques and technologies, and challenging educational opportunities for our residents and fellows.
The numbers speak for themselves:
- 200,000 procedures performed per year
- 120 residents and fellows trained per year
- 10 fellowship programs (four accredited and six formal)
- Pain Management physicians at over 20 Northeast Ohio locations
When considering what is important to share with our team and those considering joining our team, two anonymous quotes come to mind.
First, 'Teamwork: Simply stated, it is less me and more we.' And second, 'Wild ducks make a lot of noise, but they also have the sense to benefit from occasionally flying in formation.'
It is my hope that I will have an opportunity to meet you and share the excitement we have in caring for our patients and our team - while flying in formation!
David L. Brown, MD
Papers, Journals and Manuscripts
From 2001 to 2013, staff members from the division generated more than 200 peer-reviewed abstracts and more than 100 papers per year. The division has been the number-one producer of peer-reviewed abstracts presented at the American Society of Anesthesiologists meeting in four out of the last seven years.
Accomplishments in Anesthesiology
- Pioneered the use of sodium nitroprusside for controlling high blood pressure during and after cardiac surgery and its use in elective hypotensive anesthesia in 1960.
- First use of intravenous nitroglycerin in coronary artery bypass surgery.
- Founded the first specialized department for cardiac anesthesia.
- First to test all modern potent opioids and most of the modern muscle relaxants, making anesthesia practice safer and more effective.
- Built the largest pain management center, serving over 116,000 patients yearly.
- Hosts the largest accredited fellowship pain management training program.
- Championed clinical engineering advances, including continuous cardiac output monitoring and the development of practical patient transport monitoring.
- First program to offer certification for TEE to all cardiac fellows and all residents.
- Developed new medical equipment leading to more than two dozen U.S. and multiple foreign patents and several commercialized devices.
- Only division in anesthesia anywhere once led by a chair who has authored two New York Times #1 bestsellers.
- First anesthesia division with a department of Outcomes Research.
- Developed a web-based preoperative, postoperative and pain assessment program that fine-tunes itself to each patient's individual characteristics and develops an accurate evaluation report.
- Responsible for:
- Care of 200,000 patients yearly undergoing operative or other procedures requiring anesthesia.
- 44,000 plus critical care days in more than 124 critical care beds.
- 116,000 plus pain management visits.
- Division staff have developed major insights into temperature and oxygen control to reduce perioperative infection. More than 10 major New England Journal of Medicine and Lancet articles.
- Division staff responsible for 24 drugs now in new drug application process with the FDA.
Founded in 1946 as the “Department of Anesthesiology,” Cleveland Clinic Anesthesiology Institute has grown from a small group of 12 anesthesiologists to nearly 225 anesthesiologists, critical care specialists, and pain management specialists. Over the years the small Department evolved into a Division – with specialized Departments for Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology, General Anesthesiology, Pediatric Anesthesiology, Pain Management, Regional Practice Anesthesiology, Anesthesiology Research, and Outcomes Research; and in 2007 became one of Cleveland Clinic’s Institutes. Throughout its history, the Anesthesiology Institute has been deeply involved in research, innovation and education as well as providing world-class patient care.